JP Vossen on 3 Jul 2008 15:06:41 -0700

[PLUG] bash completion and SSH "HashKnownHosts"

Last night during my bash preso at HMS, we were talking about bash
completion and Ian Macdonald's awesome code from
http://freshmeat.net/projects/bashcompletion/ (which is included but not
enabled in Debian/Ubuntu).

Someone mentioned the SSH auto-completion feature, which uses your
~/.ssh/known_hosts file, but I'd wondered about since my hostnames are
hashed in that file.  I didn't say anything since I'd never gotten
around to looking into it.

Here's the issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bash/+bug/42382

Briefly: to prevent some worm "island hopping" behaviors, as of Breezy,
Ubuntu sets /etc/ssh/ssh_config "HashKnownHosts yes".  If you want SSH
auto-completion to work you can turn that off there or in ~/.ssh/config.
  You might also have to clear and re-populate your known_hosts file,
the bug isn't clear and I didn't test it.  Being an InfoSec geek I'm
leaving mine as-is.

Later,
JP