Julien Mills on 4 Jul 2008 05:50:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Text file to Excel, automated

Hi,

> The middle man is excel and not the script
>
> Matt Mossholder wrote:
> > Ummmm... Normally I would be all for the scripted
> solution, but if you are using ODBC to get the data, why
> don't you just use Excel to pull the data from the DB,
> and cut out the middle man?
> >
> > In Excel: Data->Import External Data->New Database Query

OK, the reason for wanting to do this as a script is I
have a complicated sql statement, several selects populating
a temp table.  Then a select from that which I then pipe the
results through a gawk script to get sums at certain break
points and format it so I can import it into OO.

I have tried sending csv files to my end users but they're
not too keen on that, they prefer excel files.  And, I don't
want to use Excel to pull the data, I don't even want to
be there, this whole thing should run from a cron job. (I
hope).

Of course, I may change my mind on all this.

Julien