JP Vossen on 4 Jul 2008 10:22:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Text file to Excel, automated

> Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 19:48:42 -0400
> From: "David A. Harding" <dave@dtrt.org>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Text file to Excel, automated
>
> On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 02:17:27PM -0400, JP Vossen wrote:
>> bash Cookbook recipe 13.18 "Converting a Date File to CSV":
>> $ awk [...]
>> $ perl [...]
>
> \begin{nitpick}
>
> Hey!  That's not bash!  That's awk and perl!  This is bash:
[...]

Yeah, you got me there.  :-)  I had that argument with one of our
technical reviewers on some things too.  In the end, I went with the
"Unix tools" and whatever's easier to read philosophies.

In this case I'd argue my way is shorter to type and easier (relatively)
to understand.  But your way is faster and more efficient and certainly
more "native" bash than my awk or Perl.

Thanks for keeping me honest,
JP