Brian Vagnoni on 6 Jul 2008 20:52:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OpenSuse 11.x Kernel Question

> this is why everyone needs to do at least one gentoo install.
>
> you do know that:
> make menuconfig
>
> generates the .config FOR you, and is the preferred way of going about
> it, don't you? it's got an ncurses interface too. it's really not that
> scary.

Thanks and yes I am. The problem is that the initial (generic)config created crashes when it gets to the sata drive. I'll post the exact failure point in a little bit as I'm on my way bed. That's when I got the idea of hacking the known good one. I'm lazy and don't want to have to set all those options having to guess at some of them. Opensuse is bloated I've never argued that. You don't use OpenSuse if you want a lean mean kernel. You use something like Gentoo.

Yes, the make install script auto-magically adds the required and additional entries in the grub config. Yes Suse uses grub by default with lilo or whatever you want as an option. It keeps the default working kernel as your default and in the grub menu until and very smartly you know that your kernel works.

Brian Vagnoni
PGP Digital Fingerprint
F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD  BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955