K.S. Bhaskar on 7 Jul 2008 14:54:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Writing Emacs Modes

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Antony Joseph <antony@panathara.org> wrote:
> Hi
> K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
>> Use my preferred (lazy programmer) software development technique:
> I  thought laziness is one of the virtues of  a programmer. Programmer
> implies laziness.
>> find code for another mode that sorta kinda does what you want and
>> hack it.  I call it programming by plagiarism and I am proud to be a
>> practitioner!
> So you are saying all GNU & open source license are plagiarism.
> I am confused.

[KSB] Remember Newton: "If I have seen further, it is because I have
stood on the shoulders of giants".

Plagiarism (in the sense of reusing someone else's work giving credit
where it is due) can be a good thing.
Plagiarism (in the sense of reusing someone else's work without
attribution and/or permission) is a bad thing.

FOSS relies on plagiarism in the good sense.

Lazy can also be good (as you note above) or bad (as in, "I'm too lazy
to consider all possible inputs my program might have).

So whether it is good or bad all depends on the circumstances!!

-- Bhaskar