schwepes on 9 Jul 2008 16:22:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Writing Emacs Modes

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Antony Joseph <antony@panathara.org> wrote:
> > Hi
> > K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> >> Use my preferred (lazy programmer) software development technique:
> > I  thought laziness is one of the virtues of  a programmer. Programmer
> > implies laziness.
> >> find code for another mode that sorta kinda does what you want and
> >> hack it.  I call it programming by plagiarism and I am proud to be a
> >> practitioner!
> > So you are saying all GNU & open source license are plagiarism.
> > I am confused.
>
> [KSB] Remember Newton: "If I have seen further, it is because I have
> stood on the shoulders of giants".
>
> Plagiarism (in the sense of reusing someone else's work giving credit
> where it is due) can be a good thing.
> Plagiarism (in the sense of reusing someone else's work without
> attribution and/or permission) is a bad thing.
>
> FOSS relies on plagiarism in the good sense.
>
> Lazy can also be good (as you note above) or bad (as in, "I'm too lazy
> to consider all possible inputs my program might have).
>
> So whether it is good or bad all depends on the circumstances!!

Unless you are trying to teach programming to a new generation,
reinventing the wheel is a truly pointless exercise.
When questioned about the possibility that a certain Robert Zimmerman,
aka Bob Dylan, had plagarized him, Pete Seegar said that he stole from
everybody, continuing, "as my pappy used to say, plagarism is the
essence of civilization."
As said previously, it's only wrong if the original source is not given
credit.
bs