JP Vossen on 10 Jul 2008 11:07:03 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OT: The DNS Patch

> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:02:46 -0400
> From: "Brian Vagnoni" <bvagnoni@v-system.net>
>
> Has anyone else on any platform that has applied the "patch" had systems not be able to connect the the internet?

Can you provide more details?  I'm interesting in what things are
breaking after this issue, in general.

But maybe you mean:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/09/205231
MS Security Patch Blocks Net Access For ZoneAlarm Users
Posted by timothy on Wednesday July 09, @04:13PM
from the oh-there-can't-be-more-than-a-handful dept.
Bug Networking Security Windows IT
An anonymous reader writes "Users of Check Point ZoneAlarm security
products, including the extremely popular, free-of-charge software
firewall, have discovered that a Microsoft security update released on
Tuesday has blocked their internet access. The firewall manufacturer is
'investigating the issue,' and so far the workaround seems to be to
uninstall the recent DNS spoofing vulnerability fix MS08-037 (KB951748),
and not reinstall it until Microsoft or Check Point have come up with
updated versions of their products."
http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=win_za_msgs&message.id=18667

I could also possibly see that a really strict egress filter that
requires recursive DNS traffic from internal DNS servers to be sourced
only from port 53 would break after the patch.  That's a silly enough
rule that I wouldn't expect to see it in the wild.  But then, I've seen
lots of silly "security" things I didn't expect, so...

Later,
JP