K.S. Bhaskar on 27 Jul 2008 16:04:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] reinstalling grub

I have had problems with grub on drives with S.M.A.R.T. turned on in
the BIOS (a colleague has suggested that it be called D.U.M.B.).  With
it turned on, grub wouldn't install.  With it turned off, grub would
install, but if I turned it on again, grub wouldn't boot.  On that PC,
I just had to leave it turned off in the BIOS.

Yes, I know that am shooting from the hip in the dark, blindfolded,
and hoping to dust the wings of a moth at 50 paces...

-- Bhaskar

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
> I have been frustrated in my efforts to revive my Kubuntu Hardy system.  While
> I am hoping that grub is the sole issue, there is an unlikely possibility
> that there is a problem with the primary SATA hard drive.  The drive (sda)
> has three partitions: sda1=/boot, sda2=/, and sda5=swap.  sda1 & 2 are ext3,
> sda1 being primary and sda2, LVM.

[KSB] <...snip...>