Andrew Holden on 4 Aug 2008 18:11:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Asterisk LIVEcd

If you will use VOIP exclusively then you don't need any hardware other than a Pentium 4 with about a gig of RAM to run a basic Asterisk install on, plus a reasonable Internet connection.

Your phone extensions can all be softphones such as X-Lite running on almost anything. A microphone is required to use the softphone I suppose.

At my office I set up a server with some FXO and FXS cards to interface with POTS lines and use some nice Linksys phones as the three extensions for three people. I use AsteriskNOW after experimenting with a few others over the years, it works quite well and is easy to set up.

If you like messing at the interface of phones and computers (I do) then Asterisk is a dream come true. My next plan is to set up interoffice communication across the Internet which is supposedly easy enough though I have not done it yet (jinxed myself too I expect).

Oh, I'd recommend an O'Reilly book "The Future of Telephony" as a good primer.

-Andrew

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what type of hardware (phones, I/O cards, etc) do you
need to implement an asterisk PBS?

--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence