Michael Leone on 5 Aug 2008 08:56:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] More fun w/help desk software

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Sean C. Sheridan <scs@campusclients.com> wrote:
> Once you've installed mysql you need to do 2 things...
>
> 1) set up password for root user
> shell> mysql -u root
> mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ''@'localhost' = PASSWORD('newpwd');
> mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ''@'host_name' = PASSWORD('newpwd');
> mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
>
> The hostname option let's you connect remotely.  But not until you open a
> port in the firewall (some people will tell you this is EXTREMELY
> dangerous).
>
> 2) download and install mysql admin.  It is AWESOME!
> http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html

That's the beauty of packages ... when you install the .debs for MySQL
and MySQL Admin, it does all this for you. Plus, when security updates
or whatever are released, you get updated automatically. I would
definitely use packages, whenever possible. Especially for something
as common as MySQL ...

--
Michael J. Leone, <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

"Sometimes your lack of sympathy gets hard to explain,
So on your mask of make-up you just paint a little parody of pain"
 "When You Were Young", Del Amitri