Ugarit Ebla on 8 Aug 2008 09:35:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Why Virtualize?

Luckily it was only the cpu that got fried on the physical server (RHEL5).  HP replaced it and all is well now.

Independently I had a CentOS 5 VM in Parallels running on a Mac Pro.  Of course I had complete tars of the above server.  I also had a bash script for recovery, i.e to setup ntpd,apache,sshd,perl,php,accounts etc.

I logged into the VM and I ran the bash recovery script and then I rsync'd the tar.gz files to the VM and made sure that the tens of cronjobs were also active since /var/spool/cron/$user was also recovered.  Then it worked :-)

The hard part is going to be the merging of different data sets.

As a precaution I've purchased a VPS for the company from http://www.linode.com and did the same thing there so there is less chance of loosing data in the future.

K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
So the disk on your crashed machine was fine and you simply moved the
virtual machine to a spare server with the capacity to handle another
virtual machine?  If the failure & recovery were something different,
please do post.  Thanks.

-- Bhaskar