Louis Kratz on 11 Aug 2008 07:03:51 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Replacing a Series 1 Tivo with MythTV?

> My folks have my old Series 1 Tivo that I've fixed the modem on once already
> and it seems to have burnt out again, no program info.  I've been debating
> putting together a MythTv system, and I'm wondering if I do, if anyone
> has suggestions on components to build a reasonably priced system that
> will be sufficent for Myth's needs (I've never used it before).

If you aren't going HD, I would highly recommend using a capture card
that does on-board mpeg encoding (I use the hauppauge PVR 150).  I've
found mythtv handles them well, and it takes a serious load off of
your resources when capturing. They are reasonably priced, and use the
ivtv driver.