Art Alexion on 19 Aug 2008 06:38:18 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Why the Olympics didn’t ‘Melt’ the Internet

On Monday 18 August 2008 9:20:23 pm Rich G wrote:
> I understand Silverlight 2 Beta is required.  I tried Moonlight without
> luck .... openSuSe 10.2 patched/upgraded many ways/times.
>
> Rich
>
> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 16:45 -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> > On Monday 18 August 2008 4:18:19 pm Chad Waters wrote:
> > >  via Microsoft
> > > Silverlight.
> >
> > Has anyone tried the open source moonlight version, part of the mono
> > project, I believe?

Yep.  I just tried it.  Easy to try; its just a Firefox plugin (but for some
reason "multimedia support is not included in the binary").  Tried it anyway
after spoofing the user-agent.  It prompted me for the plugin nonetheless,
but offered to let me watch it without the plugin (?).  I chose that, and got
a web page with a player, but no video or audio.  Just a player with an empty
screen.

One of the problems may be related the the issues raised in the blog entry
that Walt posted yesterday.  Apparently the feeds are off the net and
co-located at your ISP, but our provider, Paetec, is not listed.  I randomly
chose Verizon because that's who laid the T-1s, but no go.