Chad Waters on 20 Aug 2008 12:07:18 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Why the Olympics didn’t ‘Melt’ the Internet

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Chad Waters <x> wrote:

> Linux and sports just don't seem to mix... MLB has awesome live
> "gamecasts". However: the really cool feature is that about 2 minutes
> after a "highlight" play (ie homerun, whatever),  the video clip is
> processed and becomes available for viewing.... via Microsoft
> Silverlight.
>
> Here's San Fran/Atlanta, scheduled to start at 4:30 EDT:
> http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2008_08_18_sfnmlb_atlmlb_1&mode=gameday
>
> Oh well. When the TV isn't available, I check in on the Phillies via
> ESPN's live game cast instead because everything works.

So I actually tried to view a video clip again: it worked with FF3 and Flash!

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/scoreboard/20080820.html (Click on gameday for
any game in progress, and check the "video" tab on the right panel}

Sorry. It definitely required Silverlight earlier in the season. Maybe
it was a promo contract with microsoft? I think mlb.tv is
Silverlight's flagship content provider (I wouldn't know personally,
that's a paid service). Or maybe enough people complained about it?

-Chad