Stephen Gran on 25 Aug 2008 13:19:38 -0700

Re: [PLUG] S/WAN song

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 04:03:06PM -0400, Matthew Rosewarne said:
> I'm trying to set up an IPSEC tunnel between a server running OpenS/WAN and a
> Linksys WRV54G VPN router.  While I've read the documentation for both, I
> still don't quite get how the local & remote (or "left" & "right") networks
> are supposed to be configured.
>
> At the moment each gateway device has the LAN IP address 192.168.1.1 and
> netmask 255.255.255.0.  It's not clear to me how the left & right IP, Next
> Hop, and subnets should be configured, especially since OpenS/WAN and the
> WRV54G use different terminology.
>
> Does anyone have any experience either with *S/WAN and/or Linksys VPN routers?

Drawing it out makes it easier to visualize, for me at least:

 -------     -------     ----------     ------------     ---------     -------
| LAN A | = | OSWAN | = | OSWAN GW | = | LinkSys GW | = | LinkSys | = | Lan B |

Can you fill in IP addresses and netmasks for each of the relevant
entries, and I can help you get the relevant bits into the relevant
parts of the configurations?

It's not clear to me what kind of VPN you're trying to set up
(net-to-net, host-to-host, etc) at this point, so some more information
would be helpful.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Postmen never die, they just lose their |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | zip.                                    |