Brian Vagnoni on 30 Aug 2008 15:18:36 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Question about Remote Desktop through a NAT

*******
JP Vossen wrote;

Huh?  Are you suggesting that he open up administration of the
WAP/FW/Router to the Internet?!?  What the heck are you smoking?!?  Or

correct me if I misinterpreted...
********

Assuming he isn't going to be working on this fathers computer
indefinitely 365/24/7. Assuming it is for a time limited event of,
open remote admin ssl port, login(user name & password),
make router changes, close admin port, connect to computer
via opened ports. Assuming that his father is a residential
cable customer with a dynamically changing ip address.
Considering he didn't mention security in his requirements.

No you haven't misinterpreted me.

This isn't NASA, NSA, VISA, or even a POS system. Though not
astronomical, with a dynamic ip, the fact that this is a
residential computer(target benefit poor), the odds of
penetration by a script kiddie and the time and effort it
takes to exploit an up to date endpoint firewalled Linux
based system with it's own set of login cred's in the time
limited event window I've outlined above is indeed very close
to astronomical.

This isn't an AP connected to the internet running 24/7 with WEP.

My experience tells me that this is extremely low risk event given
the target, and the amount of time critical ports are open over an ssl
connection. If this were a business connection I would choose otherwise
but it's an admittedly technically challenged(no offense Casey to your
father) senior Americans laptop(not on all the time).

So I therefore wholly stand by my statement.

Brian Vagnoni
PGP Digital Fingerprint
F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD  BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955