JP Vossen on 30 Aug 2008 22:54:44 -0700

[PLUG] CPU Frequency scaling in PE750?

I have some oldish Dell PE750 1u units I'm starting to use with Debian
Lenny.  Some will be mostly idle (for CPU but probably not disk), and
I'd like to throttle the CPU down if possible.  I've been goofing around
with cpudyn, cpufreqd and powernowd but can't get any to work.

I suspect I may be SoL, since the cpuinfo lacks any mention of "current_
frequency".  Can anyone confirm or deny?  Any other ideas?

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 3
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 2800.234
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
constant_tsc pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
bogomips        : 5605.79
clflush size    : 64
power management:

Any other suggestions for keeping power use and heat down using these
PE750s?

Thanks,
JP