Michael Leone on 1 Sep 2008 18:43:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] top posting

On 9/1/08, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
> Walt Mankowski wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 06:47:40AM -0700, Mag Gam wrote:
>>> this is probally a stupid question, but what exactly is 'top posting'?
>>> I use gmail to access my mailing lists and people always complain that
>>> I 'top post'. I am not sure how to avoid it. Is it a client issue or
>>> something else? I would like to fix this on my end if possible.
>>
>> It's something that's been discussed to death both here and elsewhere.
>> Please search Google (e.g. the very first hit on "top posting" is a
>> wikipedia article on the subject) instead of beating yet another dead
>> horse on this list.
>

> Wouldn't it have been easier to just say:
>
> Top posting is where your reply is on top of the text you are quoting,
> rather than beneath it like this response.
>
> Top posting is frowned upon mostly in =nix technical lists such as this one.

I did. :-) Way back when. Then all the other posts about it started.

It's a Linux list; it's what happens ...

--
Michael J. Leone, <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

"Sometimes your lack of sympathy gets hard to explain,
So on your mask of make-up you just paint a little parody of pain"
                        "When You Were Young", Del Amitri