john_re on 1 Sep 2008 23:26:16 -0700

[PLUG] NoProb- Removing PA PLUG from info was-Re: Meeting Sept6 BerkeleyTIPGlobal-USA

Hi Elizabeth -

1) Sure, no problem, I just made a note to myself to not send anything
further about the Berkeley TIP Global event to PA PLUG unless someone
from the list invites me to.  I've no desire to inform people who don't
want to know.

1.3) You didn't indicate your position within the group, but I'll just
presume you are a relevant authority on the matter at hand (since you
posted this publicly) - no problem.

1.5)  Just to be sure, I will unsubscribe myself from this list as soon
as I see this message come through, just so I don't accidentally send
more info through your list.   Therefore, if you _do_ want me to see
something you send, you'll need to cc me or send it to me directly, not
to this list, cause I won't be on this list any more.

2) Contrary to your statement
> My attempts to
> contact him directly have been ignored,

I haven't ignored you.

I haven't received _any_ messages from you.  I
didn't even see this message till I glanced through about the 50-100
PLUG
messages in my PLUG folder.

Further, I just now looked through the
headers on your email - you neither cc'd nor directly sent the message
to me.

Further, I am subscribed to, and have to scan about 15 LUG lists, as
part of my volunteer effort on this community project - I might overlook
something in that volume of messages.

But, I have my email system set to filter any incoming email with my
email address in the to or cc headers directly into my main inbox, so I
won't miss any messages sent to me.  No message from you has come to me
directly, at all.

3) Contrary to your statement
> doing little/no research into lug organizations (or
> even if his post is remotely on-topic/appropriate).

I did in fact search the PA PLUG website, _and_ look at the PLUG mailing
list info page before I subscribed, and though I don't recall anything
from that event, I only subscribed to lists that seemed appropriate.  As
an example I vaguely remember, Denver CLUE has two lists, one for
general & one for tech, & I only subscribed to their general list, as
that was most appropriate. (Several LUGs have a setup like that.)

4) I'm just putting together the Berkeley TIP Global meeting as my
personal contribution to the Free SW GNU(Linux) & BSD communities.  It
takes me personal time to send these messages out.  I'm glad to reclaim
the time I'd be spending sending info to PLUG (or any group that doesn't
want to be informed) so that I can put that time & effort into other
groups that will appreciate it.

5)  I am seriously interested in developing a partnership with any
individual or group that values Free Software (GNU or BSD style at
least).  If that is you, or anyone from your group, I invite _you_ or
_anyone from your group_ to get ahold of _me_.  I won't send you a
private email about this, for several reasons, including at least that:

a) I prefer to keep my discourse about this public, so anyone can know
how things are progressing,
b) you seem to not be interested, & I've no desire to take up your time
for something you aren't interested in, or spend my time with someone
who isn't interested in this.

I think the Berkeley TIP GLobal monthly meeting event is an excellent
resource both for the community, and any individuals who want to:
Learn, Use, or Create/Improve free software.  Ie:
Talks, Installfest, ProgrammingParty.  (TIP)

PA PLUG members:  If you want to be up to date on the latest technology,
be it for personal or work use, I invite you to set up a local meeting
to help out yourself, & your community.

Anyone from PA PLUG interested in GNU/BSD Free Software, & further
discussion, I invite you to join us on the Berkeley TIP Global mailing
list at:
http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal
(join the group, send email to the mailing list.)

Best wishes to you all.  :)

Bye.  :)

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 09:39:56 -0400, "Elizabeth Bevilacqua"
<lyz@princessleia.com> said:
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Elizabeth Bevilacqua
> <lyz@princessleia.com> wrote:
> > If you're seriously interested in developing a partnership with our
> > group please email me directly to discuss, your unsolicited emails are
> > currently striking our members as being quite spammy and undirected.
>
> ...and just to clarify to outside observers so no one is scared to
> post stuff. This fellow has been broadcasting his messages to lugs all
> over the place, doing little/no research into lug organizations (or
> even if his post is remotely on-topic/appropriate). My attempts to
> contact him directly have been ignored, a couple people on list have
> asked me about his mails. Hence the public LARTing.
>
> I think he means well, but spam-like postings and being unresponsive
> to attempts at contact just isn't the best way to promote your
> project... :)
>
> --
> Elizabeth Bevilacqua // Lyz // pleia2

And previously,