Casey Bralla on 13 Sep 2008 06:02:39 -0700

[PLUG] Want Video Card Recommendation

I'm looking for a recommendation for a new video card.

I'm not a gamer, so don't need anything close to bleeding edge.  I want to be
able to have groovy GL screen savers, but other than that, I can stay 2D.

I've got an old nVidia card, which has worked fine with the closed source
nVidia drivers, but is broken for X.org 1.5.  (The most recent nVidia drivers
support x 1.5, but my card is not supported by the latest drivers.)   In the
meantime, I'm using the open source "nv" drivers, which are pretty poor.

I'm thinking of doing 2 things:

1.  Nothing.  Wait for nVidia to back-port Xorg 1.5 compatibility to the older
cards.

2a.  Buy a new, low cost nVidia-based card
2b.  Buy a new, low cost ATI-based card

I've heard that ATI is aggressively supporting open source, which is very
nice.  However, my experience is that ATI has better "promise" than actual
performance.  nVidia, on the other hand, has been very poor with open source,
but their proprietary drivers are excellent.

Anybody have any suggestions?

--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence