Matthew Rosewarne on 13 Sep 2008 13:52:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OpenGL Screensavers

On Saturday 13 September 2008, JP Vossen wrote:
> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that with
> halfway modern hardware using ACPI and CPU scaling, this is just a waste
> of power.  Use the "blank" screen saver set to a few minutes, then turn
> off the display totally in a few more minutes.  Anything else is just
> wasting power to a) run the display, b) crank up and run the CPU/GPU and
> c) crank up the cooling to deal with the heat from the cranked CPU/GPUs.
>   Or is OpenGL not as CPU/GPU intensive as I remember?  (I only ever use
> the blank screen.)

There is one screensaver that actually *is* useful: clock.kss (not sure if
it's in xscreensaver), which displays a large clock on the screen.  Other than
that, I don't see the point of using anything but blank -> DPMS Off.

> And as far as that goes, are screen "savers" even necessary anymore?
> IIRC LCDs suffer a lot less from "burn-in" than did CRTs.  Anyone know?

Any modern CRT is largely immune to burn-in.  Screensavers have been
completely useless for years now.