James Barrett on 13 Sep 2008 16:14:47 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OpenGL Screensavers

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Matthew Rosewarne
<mrosewarne@inoutbox.com> wrote:

> Any modern CRT is largely immune to burn-in.  Screensavers have been
> completely useless for years now.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't plasma displays suffer from burn-in?

I agree, screensavers are useless for typical displays and average
situations.  xscreensaver is very useful for locking my laptop and
displaying the time or some other information, but that is about as
far as it goes.

Maybe screensavers will become the 'appendix' of computer systems in a
few decades.  People might ask "Why did my machine come with this
useless thing?  It does not seem to have any function, but it must be
here for a reason.  What was the original purpose?  Was it
evolutionary, and somehow helped when the system was becoming mature
years ago?  My system operates flawlessly without it, but nothing is
harmed by keeping it intact.   We might as well just leave it and
remove it if it becomes a problem..."

--
Jim