Matthew Rosewarne on 13 Sep 2008 16:27:57 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OpenGL Screensavers

On Saturday 13 September 2008, James Barrett wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong, but don't plasma displays suffer from burn-in?

Perhaps, though I doubt I'm in danger of burning-in my plasma display...

> Maybe screensavers will become the 'appendix' of computer systems in a
> few decades.  People might ask "Why did my machine come with this
> useless thing?  It does not seem to have any function, but it must be
> here for a reason.  What was the original purpose?  Was it
> evolutionary, and somehow helped when the system was becoming mature
> years ago?  My system operates flawlessly without it, but nothing is
> harmed by keeping it intact.   We might as well just leave it and
> remove it if it becomes a problem..."

They're sort of like the open/close buttons on modern elevators.  The buttons
are silently ignored, but since people *expect* them to be there, they would
react negatively if the buttons were removed.