Michael Bevilacqua on 21 Sep 2008 08:06:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Debugging looping reboots

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 12:42 PM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:
My son disregarded my advice (he's at that age when dads don't know
much) and bought a new high end laptop (Extreme Notebooks Raptor 560x;
I advised him to go with System76).  The hardware is so leading edge
that the only Linuxes I have been able to get to recognize all the
hardware are Fedora Core 9 & 10 and Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex.  The catch
now is that I can't get it to run 64-bit Linux (32-bits runs fine).

64-bit Linux isn't where it should be at this point, although it is progressing. You are going to have trouble running a lot of commonly used applications down the road if/when you do get the system installed. Even with 32-bit compatability mode.

This is why I run Gentoo (32-bit native) on my HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop. It's an AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 TL-56 dual core. The hardware support with Debian, Ubuntu and the like in my experiences is inadequate unless you are willing to run unstable and compile stuff yourself. I find, in that case, you might as well get yourself prepared to compile what you need in the simplest fashion available (portage) and use kernels that are much more up to date than that available with the previously mentioned distros.

Good luck.

--
Michael D. Bevilacqua
michael@bevilacqua.us