Michael Leone on 21 Sep 2008 08:28:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Problems sending using postfix on Comcast

sean finney wrote:
> hiya,
>
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 11:24:47PM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
>> I'm having some problems sending mail via postfix on Comcast. I thought
>> I had this working, a few months ago, before my server died. So tonight,
>> I finally got around to rebuilding it (using Ubuntu Server 8.04). I'm
>> trying to send to my Gmail account.
>>
>> Looks like it's trying to send via port 25, even tho I explicitly tell
>> it to use port 587 and TLS ....
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
> <snip>
>> my_transport_maps:
>> gmail.com               smtp:[smtp.gmail.com]
>
> there's your problem.  you're specifically overriding your other settings to
> relay mail for gmail.com via this route.  i think if you put a port in there
> ([host:port]) it should solve your problem.

And it does! Thanks.

> or, more to the point, why do
> you have that there in the first place?  i'd think you should be able to
> completely remove it.

Well, for one, Comcast doesn't allow you to run your own server, and so
they block port 25. Also, smtp.gmail.com requires port 587 and TLS, from
what I understand.

Anyway, it looks like it's gone through now, thanks.

--
Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

"My friends say I'm crazy and I agree,
But thats okay cause thats the way I like to be"
            -- "Hey, Girl", O.A.R.