JP Vossen on 27 Sep 2008 12:17:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Any Dual Boot Advice

 > Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:08:02 -0400
 > From: "Brian Stempin" <brian.stempin@gmail.com>
 >
 > You should always install windows before linux.
 >
 > The reason for this is that when you install windows, it overwrites
 > your MBR, which prevents any other OS's from booting (unless they're
 > windows based).  If you install windows first and then linux second
 > (pretty much regardless of distro), the installer will recognize that
 > it's not the only OS on the system.  It will then install itself in
 > such a way that you can dual-boot.

This is good advice in general, but I want to nit-pick one point.

Assuming the "NT Bootloader" in > NT 3.x to < Vista, it does not prevent
any other OS from booting at all.  In fact, that's just how Wubi works,
by "chain loading" from ntldr's c:\boot.ini.  It's actually kinda cool
(I think I heard somewhere that M$ bought that bit of code, which would
explain it).  Note I know nothing about Vista, but I think I heard it
uses a different boot loader, so all bets are off there.

E.g., see: http://www.google.com/search?q=%22boot.ini%22+%22chain+load%22

Ntldr can chain to grub or grub can chain to ntldr, it really doesn't
matter.

Having said that, loading Windows first (as is already the case here),
is easier, as Brian points out.

Later,
JP