K.S. Bhaskar on 28 Sep 2008 18:11:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Need Advice on Cloning A Disk Drive

Actually, I often often copy from a live system (did it just
yesterday, as a matter of fact)!  Here's what I would do.

1. Install the second drive and boot the computer from the Linux on
the first drive.

2. Create a file system on the second drive (I tend to use jfs as my
standard file system these days  - fsck is much faster).  Mount it
somewhere, e.g., as /spare.

3. Copy the file system from / to /spare with a command like: sudo
rsync -auvx / /spare/ (trailing slash needed on /spare/).

4. Edit /spare/etc/boot/grub as needed (e.g., changing UUIDs, or
device location).

5. Edit /spare/boot/grub/menu.lst as needed.

5. Install grub on the second drive with something like: sudo
grub-install --root-directory=/spare /dev/sdb (assuming the drive for
/spare is /sbd).

Regards
-- Bhaskar