Gordon Dexter on 30 Sep 2008 21:31:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Need Advice on Cloning A Disk Drive - Success!

Casey Bralla wrote:
> I succeeded in my quest to upgrade my hard drive today.  I thought the list
> might be interested in how I finally did it.
>
> Objective:  As you may remember, I wanted to "clone" a functioning 80 GByte
> disk onto a 200 GByte disk on my Gentoo system, while at the same time
> changing from the ReiserFS to ext3 file systems.  I had had trouble copying
> pseudo file entries (like /dev/dsp) on the hard disk, and had been
> unsuccessful booting to the new drive.  I got lots of good suggestions on how
> to do this, and this is the process I finally used:
>
> 1.  Install new disk as slave (/dev/hdb)
> 2.  Partition new disk and create ext3 file system on /dev/hdb1
> 3.  Boot to live CD (I used Knoppix)
> 4.  Mount old disk (/dev/hda1) and new disk (/dev/hdb1)
> 5.  Use rsync to copy **all** the files from /dev/hda1 to /dev/hdb1
> 6.  Remove original hard disk, and install new hard disk as master
> 7.  Boot again to live CD
> 8.  Mount new disk (now it is /dev/hda1)
> 9.  Chroot onto new disk
> 10.  Run grub to initialize the MBR on the new disk
> 11. Reboot to "Nerdvana"
>

> Comments:
>
> It has been suggested that I didn't need to copy all the device files from the
> old disk.  I don't know, but I wanted to be sure I had copied every "stub" of
> the device files left on the original disk.  For some reason, the normal copy
> commands would **not** copy these files.  However, rsync seemed to have no
> trouble at all (at least, it never complained if it did).
>
> I think my most critical failure previously was to not chroot into the new
> disk before running grub.  I also had tried running grub when the new disk
> was still the slave.   I'm not sure if this had an effect or not, but....
The rsync command with the option set to only copy from one filesystem
wouldn't complain that it can't copy the /dev directory because it
wouldn't try: /dev is almost always on a separate ramdisk, which would
be excluded by the one fs option.  The ramdisk would be mounted, empty,
upon boot and populated by the udev process.

--Gordon