rmsolino on 1 Oct 2008 19:41:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] help with filling a sysadmin position (fwd)

> A couple of add-ons to Josh's post:
>
> On Oct 1, 2008, at 8:20 PM, Josh Goldstein wrote:
>
> > - Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the job description?
> >    You could say "15-20 mins from Center City Philly" - some people
> > might assume it's too far away and in a dull location.
>
> Indicate what access the location has to public transportation (if any).

this was going to be my first question :)

> >    You mention 24x7 support, FreeBSD, MTA and DB performance tuning,
> > interacting with clients, AND programing.  That makes me wonder if
> > the new person would be part of an IT team and what size is the
> > team, because doing all of that or even some of all of that seems
> > like it could easily snowball into waaay too much work for just one
> > person.

also FreeBSD makes me wonder how much stock you place in /usr/ports
(vs. installing packages from tarballs - I have run afoul of FreeBSD ports
so many times over the past 10 years that I almost always build from source)

> This is especially true if you are advertising for a UNIX System
> Administrator as opposed to a <some flavor of> LINUX System
> Administrator. REAL SysAdmins know that there is are significant
> differences between flavors and regard "unix" postings as something
> someone in HR with no clue wrote.

also, knowing what flavor of MTA would be good too; I would assume you'd use
qmail over sendmail for an application like this, but what do I know :)