Alex Valentine on 2 Oct 2008 09:18:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] help with filling a sysadmin position

I think you're assuming people will actually know where Media is, and they
also know what transportation is nearby.

If you want to limit your canidates to people with knowledge of the
greater philadelphia area, then so be it. I've lived here for a few years,
and I have no idea what mass transit exists in media. (not that I care)

Here are the typical questions that should be answered in a job ad:

- What are the responsibilities of the position?
- What does the company do?
- Why would I want to work there?
- What is the salary range and benefits?

Too many companies do a laundry list of qualifications without providing
enough incentive for actually applying.

If I were a potential job seeker, I would not apply for that job
description unless I was desperate for work.

While I think Digg is stupid from a biz perspective, these job pages/ads
will definitely grab the attention of potential applicants.

http://blog.digg.com/?p=123
http://digg.com/jobs

You might not have all the dot.bomb 2.0 excess, but try to make the
position appealing.

> To be homest, given the location listing of Media, PA - if candidates cant
> figure out their transportation logistics on their own, then you shouldn't
> be hiring them.
>
> I mean, you do want to hire a mature, fully grown adult, right?

> From : Omar Thameen <omar-list-plug@biglist.com>
> To : Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
> <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
> Subject : Re: [PLUG] help with filling a sysadmin position
> Date : Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:20:51 -0400
>> Thanks for the responses.  What I'm taking away from the feedback
>> on the job description is that more details about the job might
>> make it more appealing.  I had been hesitant to lengthen the listing
>> for fear of being too "chatty" or losing the reader's attention.
>>
>> I'm surprised that a couple people suggested including transportation
>> info since I have some there (15-20 mins. from Philly, access to
>> 95 and 476), and figured Media, PA is easy enough to enter into a
>> map site or track down on the septa site.  However, adding notes
>> about the trains/buses won't be distracting.
>>
>> I've been avoiding headhunters, but am not completely opposed,
>> particularly if they know the industry, aren't just matching resumes
>> to keywords, and can get me closer to the ideal candidate.
>>
>> Omar
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 04:15:32PM -0400, Omar Thameen wrote:
>> > Hi Folks,
>> >
>> > The purpose of this post is twofold.
>> >
>> > First, I'm advertising an opening for a Unix systems administrator
>> > at our company, BIGLIST, located in downtown Media, PA.
>> >
>> > Second, I'd appreciate any feedback and advice on finding a candidate
>> > since I'm having a devil of a time getting any quantity of responses.
>> >
>> > The details of the position are here:
>> > http://www.biglist.com/public/job-sysadmin.html
>> [...]

Alex Valentine