Brian Stempin on 9 Oct 2008 17:40:39 -0700

[PLUG] SOCKS5 in Ubuntu 8.04

Hi List,

I'm a big fan of using ssh to create SOCKS5 proxies (via ssh -D xxxx someuser@someserver) to secure my wireless and untrusted connections.  In Ubuntu, there is a panel for setting global proxy settings (System-> Preferences-> Network Proxy).  Within this panel, I can set a SOCKS5 proxy, but I can't set SOCKS5 as the *only* proxy.  This is a problem, because I found that certain applications, such as Pidgin, won't work with my SOCKS5 proxy unless I explicitly set it to do so from within Pidgin.  How can I configure my system so that I can forward all traffic through this proxy, without having to configure each individual application?

Thanks,
Brian