Paul L. Snyder on 19 Oct 2008 15:55:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] BASHing, DASHing, and heckling JP, et al

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008, JP Vossen wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 19:47:09 -0400
> > From: "Michael Bevilacqua" <michael@bevilacqua.us>
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 7:18 PM, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I am looking to drum up support for PLUG Abington (would that be Central?).
> >
> > That would be North.
>
> Na, that's too confusing.  Since we already have Central, N and W, how
> about East?  (Hey, it's East of *me*... :)  You also have the challenge
> of picking a day that's not already in use bu PLUG $N, PANTUG, etc.
> (http://phillygroups.org/community)

When PLUG West started, we kicked it off with a beer night at a local pub
to see who was interested.  Something like a quarterly social meeting might
work if you don't think the NE area has enough of a base to sustain a
regular group.

>  > And yes, I have to agree that a PLUG chapter in the
>  > North East area would be great *if* enough people would attend.

The hardest part is keeping a steady stream of speakers.  We've been
rotating many of our volunteers through all three of the existing groups,
and stretching them to a fourth might wear them a little thin.

If you manage to drum up enough interest (and enough people who will
actually attend), I'd recommend not going for monthly, at least at first.
PLUG North used to meet bi-monthly, so you could try that route.

If you try to form a regular group, make sure you have one person who is
committed to making sure the meetings happen and won't flag when badgering
everyone to volunteer to speak.

Speaking of which...we need a November speaker for PLUG West.  Anyone
working on something interesting that they'd like to present?

Paul