Gordon Dexter on 22 Oct 2008 05:31:57 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Static or Dynamic IP Address?

Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> THE MOST IMPORTANT BIT    \  /
>                            \/
>
> According to the people I spoke to at Verizon, incoming ports 80 and 25 are
> blocked on *ALL* dynamic accounts, even business ones.  However, when they
> were selling me my residential service, they also assured me those same ports
> would be open, so I'd recommend you try to find someone who has a dynamic
> business account to make sure.

Reminds me of the only quote I ever got onto bash.org:
<Ich> Why are you hosting on port 666?
<Texasdex> just for the hell of it

Port 666 was the first one that came to mind (I now use 1234 so I can
send it to relatives) but the real reason I was using such a weird port
is because Verizon always blocked incoming port 80.  Not 443, so if you
have a decent cert you can sort of but not quite get around it, but it's
just been a pain.  From what I vaguely remember reading when I first
tried to bypass it, they started doing this ages ago when Code Red was
spreading, and conveniently haven't stopped.

--Gordon