Casey Bralla on 5 Nov 2008 15:24:57 -0800

[PLUG] FiOS vs Comcast: The End Result

A few weeks ago, I asked the list for advice on whether to use FiOS or Comcast
for my Internet connection.  I've made my choice, and thought the list might
find my decision-making and implementation of interest.   (and if not, then
we can have another few dozen eMails about how the list is being polluted
with too many off-top and non-interesting eMails <grin>)

To summarize my situation:

I wanted to lower my total costs of telephone, Internet, and cable TV.  I also
needed to be able to run a full suite of servers (web, mail, DNS).  Comcast
had been filtering my eMail servers for some time, but thankfully had not
interfered with my web servers, even though I was violating my terms of
Service to run them.   I had been using an eMail redirection service, and
several almost-free DNS servers, and everything worked, but was a pain to
administer.  Also, my annual subscriptions to these services was about to run
out, and I was facing another $100 or so in charges to renew them.

FiOS has been in my neighborhood for about a year, and I was encouraged by the
rampant advertising of "triple play" offers from both carriers.

Here is what I discovered:

Since I wanted the right to run servers, I was stuck with getting "Business
Class" service.  Comcast filters port 25, and threatens to filter port 80 too
right now.  I assume FiOS would too.

Both offered dynamic IP, which theoretically works fine for me as long as it
doesn't change too often.  My comcast residential IP has only changed once in
3 years, although I have read that Verizon changes their dynamic IPs
frequently (maybe even hourly).

Despite all their ads for business services, Comcast does not offer a "triple
play" for business.   You get essentially no discount for bundling.   Verizon
does offer a discount for business class triple play.

The Comcast sales rep was courteous and prompt in getting back to me.  I'm
pretty sure he was on commission.   The FiOS reps almost never answered my
eMails, even when I was replying to THEIR eMails.   I did eventually find a
knowledgeable Verizon rep.  She informed me that (no surprise) they don't get
commissions on sales, but do get "points".

Getting technical questions answered from Verizon was basically impossible.
Even getting to their Tech guys took me over an hour.   When I finally got to
one, he very politely told me that he could only help me if my system was
broken.  (I had asked him about port filtering, and he clearly didn't even
understand what I was talking about.)

Comcast does not filter anything on their business class service.   Verizon
filters their dynamic IPs, but not their static IPs.  This means I had to get
a static IP if I wanted to run servers with FiOS.

Verizon's telephone system was a colossal headache, since they always routed
me to "residential" sales reps since my home phone number is residential.   I
always had to get to residential sales, then get transferred to business
sales, which often got me lost in a phone loop and sent me right back to
residential.  (Too bad Verizon has no technical experience with telephones,
since maybe this skill could be used to help improve their system <snark>)

In order to get a static IP with FiOS, I had to purchase a faster service
(20/5 MBPS).  This, of course, was more expensive.   Also, since I wanted
Phone, and TV with Internet, I had to get a block of 5 IPs.  This wasn't too
bad, except that they claim that phone takes 1 IP, TV consumes 1, and the
router eats 1 also.  This means I would have been left with 2 usable IPs,
which would have been more than adequate for my needs, but wasteful of IPs.

Verizon's different sales reps quoted me several different prices for the same
service at different times.  I think this is because they didn't know I
needed the block of 5 IPs.  (The most seemingly knowledgeable rep was certain
I had to get the block of IPs if I was getting triple play.)

Comcast's Internet phone is "unlimited", but only in the local calling area.
Long distance is 5 cents per minute, which seems ridiculously expensive in
this day and age.   Verizon's unlimited as truly unlimited in the US.

The Comcast sales rep said I wouldn't need or get any new equipment, but sure
enough, the installer brought a crummy modem/router to do the install.   I've
read that there is a comcast-only backdoor into it that the customer cannot
disable.

FiOS's TV lineup was better than Comcast's, but since you need a decoder box
to get it, my analog hookup to a second TV and a VCR would each have required
a decoder too, at additional cost.  This meant I would not be able to watch
one program while taping another.

So I ended up getting comcast business dynamic service.  I pay an extra $17
per month, and had to get a 3-year contract to avoid the $99 installation
charge.    FiOS would have increased my monthly charges by $45, but I would
have had more TV channels and 4 times faster Internet.  Unfortunately for me,
there just was no way I would be able to talk my financial adviser (aka "Mrs
Bralla") into this.

It still may be possible to get FiOS TV and telephone bundled, without
Internet, but they don't list that combo on their web site.  I guess I'll
have to call them.

--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence