JP Vossen on 10 Nov 2008 09:12:06 -0800

Re: [PLUG] music jukebox

 > Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 16:42:42 -0500 (EST)
 > From: Jeff Weisberg <jaw+plug@tcp4me.com>
 >
 >| I'd like to set up a Linux "jukebox" type application to play mp3/ogg
 >| files.  It turns out that Amarok is too complex for the casual
 >| (family member) user   :-)
 >|
 >| Any suggestions and/or recommendations?
 >
 > I started years ago with writing my own perl scripts, then
 > tried a number of open-source apps. then I found
 > 	http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html
 >
 > I have one in my livingroom, and another my bedroom.
 > the server side is hackable perl, and the user interface
 > side is easily usable by guests and family.

Oh, I forgot about that.  I run the back-end slimserver (very old
6.3.0-4) on a Debian Etch server, with a web GUI on Ubuntu Hardy and the
"head unit" on the MClient part of mvpmc or a Media MVP unit (also
non-HD, for MythTV).  The web front-end works a lot better than anything
with a remote control, and my wife has no problem using it and creating
playlists.  It's slow (but just usable) on the P3 hardware that is
running both the back end and GUI machines.

But personally, I still find Rhythmbox much friendlier.

Later,
JP