Art Alexion on 13 Nov 2008 12:12:53 -0800

Re: [PLUG] directory permissions corrupted in 8.10

On Tuesday 11 November 2008 2:32:15 pm Art Alexion wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 November 2008 2:22:02 pm Chad Waters wrote:
> > > I am thinking it is a recent change in samba or hal.
> >
> > I skipped through bug reports and didn't notice anything similar.
> >
> > You should file one: http://launchpad.net
>
> I want to, but I first want to identify which package is causing the
> problem.
>
> Six or eight months ago, I had a similar problem in the same environment.
>
> I had a spare computer on which I installed Ubuntu (gutsy?).  Whenever
> somebody's computer would go down requiring a time consuming repair, I
> would give them this PC, create an account for them, configure evo for our
> exchange server, and edit /etc/fstab so that their user folder on the file
> server would mount on /mnt/H (our windows users have this folder mapped to
> H:).
>
> At some point, I learned that something that I was doing, either the
> multiple users, or multiple mounts of different points of the same tree on
> the server was causing the problem.  I can't recall what the problem was
> anymore, though.  The fix, I recall was simple, a forehead slapper.

Well, I didn't really "fix" the problem, but I found a way to work around it.

I changed the user on one of the fstab entries from art@rhd.org to
administrator@rhd.org, and changed the corresponding passwords.  Now all is
good with mounting and read/write access.

Our file server is named \\sloth.  User files are stored in a windows share
called \\sloth\user.  We keep some IT info in a subfolder of that share
called \\sloth\user\CompMDB.  My personal user files are stored in another
subfolder of that share called \\sloth\user\Art.

So the three problematic fstab entries all access different subfolders of the
same windows share.  While still not remembering the reason when I
encountered a similar problem before, I think it has something to do with
different mountpoints accessing the same windows share (albeit different
subfolders).

Does that nudge any ideas for anyone?