brent timothy saner on 14 Nov 2008 19:24:47 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Distros

Actually, that's a listing of distros *based on popularity* (in a rate of page hits tracked via distrowatch, I believe). Hence one can easily find the ten "best" distros based on popular opinion.

(lack of GPG due to message sent via blackberry device)

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com>

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 22:12:43
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List<plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Distros

brent timothy saner wrote:
> Brian Vagnoni wrote:
>> Exactly, looking for a one stop table, or database, or spreadsheet,
> or
website that would highlight the differences for folks. Thinking about
doing a project for the community.

> ahem.
>
> http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity
>

> i'm surprised you didn't know about that.

It's a page of links, each to a description of what is in each distro.
But it's not a comparison table, with highlights of differences ... (I'm
not sure you could easily do that, since each distro could conceivably
run however many desktop environments, etc)

> as for the "TOP" ten in terms of quality, that's honestly a bit to
> subjective to provide a comprehensive database on.

He didn't ask for "quality", but listing of differences.

--
Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

"a grotesque mixture of incompetence and sycophancy shielded by a genial
personality"
           -- Larry Johnson, about George Tenet, former head of the CIA