JP Vossen on 15 Nov 2008 12:15:09 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Your recommendations

> Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 14:21:31 -0500
> From: Matthew Rosewarne <mrosewarne@inoutbox.com>
>
> On Saturday 15 November 2008, JP Vossen wrote:
>> Cool, but is anyone actually using GRUB2 yet?  OP said Ubuntu, and my
>> Ubuntu 8.10 has:
>> 	$ grub --version
>> 	grub (GNU GRUB 0.97)
>
> I'm running it on Debian, so I can only assume it's in Ubuntu somewhere.

Well, that's interesting.  There is a 'grub2' package but it's just a
dummy.  Looks like 'grub-pc' is the appropriate GRUB for my machine, and
it conflicts with the 'grub' that is installed.  Now, this machine was
8.04 and was upgraded, so I'm not 100% sure, but it doesn't look like
Ubuntu uses GRUB2 by default.  At least 8.04 didn't and that was a clean
install.  And my clean Debian Lenny (RC.something) installs are the
same, GRUB1 0.97-47, but with GRUB2 dummy, etc.

So that's an interesting chicken and egg problem.  How do you install
the OS, so you can boot up and switch to GRUB2, when the config you want
won't work under the default GRUB1 in the first place?  I'd argue, too
much like work.  Let it use the default and keep /boot outside of LVM.
But that's good news for when GRUB2 eventually becomes the default.

>> That's news to me, does that work (yet) in the Ubuntu alternate CD?
>> I'll have to try it.
>
> I'd expect the alternate installer is based on the Debian Installer, which
> does let you specify sizes in [KMG]B.  The LVM tools themselves use -L for
> specifying those sizes and -l for specifying the number of extents.

I think it used to be, but I'm not sure any more.  It's been a few
months, but IIRC the major differences between Live and Alternate are
that the Alt boots right into the GUI installer, which gives you a few
more options.

Later,
JP