rmsolino on 22 Nov 2008 12:28:53 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: soldering on the motherboard

-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Saturday 22 November 2008 13:44:50 Eric wrote:
>
> This is where I am now.  I have the old part out, but 3 of the 5 holes are
> still covered by solder.  What should I use as a solder wick?

ok, what you want to do here is heat the solder, and poke a hole in the goo so it cools with a hole in the center.

(if you have an excess glob of solder, wicking it away is necessary, but it sounds like you have enough to work with)

you can then thread the new part's lead through the hole, and re-solder. just remember to use short, quick applications
of the iron so that the board doesn't heat up and start cooking nearby components