sean finney on 25 Nov 2008 13:04:42 -0800

Re: [PLUG] phone as modem

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:02:32AM -0500, Eric wrote:
> Wow, that sounds like a perfect use for OpenDNS.  I wonder if one could
> actually route around the Verizon overlords?

i think often there's other wierd layer 3 stuff going on so that
even if you try to use your own dns servers, and even if you can talk to them,
the network will still detect and reroute your outgoing connections to a
central host.

in the worst case scenario there's nothing you can do about it, if the
admin/design is smart enough, though often my experience is that this
is not the case.

for example, sometimes your outgoing dns requests will work, but all
tcp/ip connections are routed to some central server until you pay them,
login, etc.  you can get around it if you take the time to set up a tcp/dns
implementation beforehand, and of course in debian there are no less than 3
different implementations i've heard of for doing this[1].

sometimes it's even more lax and it's only tcp/ip which is
inspected/intercepted, in which case you could use a standard dns openvpn
tunnel instead, though i think from a coolness factor having a tcp/dns
tunnel wins :)

	sean

[1] dns2tcp, iodine, and nstx