JP Vossen on 1 Dec 2008 10:20:13 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Battery Backup Recommendation

 > Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 22:22:58 -0500
 > From: "Jim Smith" <jimjawn@gmail.com>
 >
 > I've got a single server and I'm looking to get a simple USB battery
 > backup in the event of a power failure.  Does anyone have a low cost
 > recommendation that's easy to configure?

Check out RefurbUPS.com and you can get something (mostly APC) in the
$50 range, maybe even less.  They also have the interface cables, though
they are still mostly serial which might be an issue depending on your
hardware.  Disclaimer, I have no connection but as a happy customer 3-4
times.

There are at least three Debian/Ubuntu UPS monitoring packages: apcupsd,
nut and upsd.  We've talked about these on the list before, I think, but
I have to admit that I still haven't gotten around to configuring any of
them.  It's on my list...  But it sounds like your single-server
use-case will be easier than my case.

Good luck,
JP