Glenn Kelley on 12 Dec 2008 05:54:29 -0800

[PLUG] Cisco and FSF and the GPL

for anyone interested:

The Free Software Foundation (FSF) - a non-profit corporation founded
by Richard Stallman; yesterday announced that it has filed a copyright
infringement lawsuit against Cisco. The FSF's complaint alleges that
in the course of distributing various products under the Linksys brand
Cisco has violated the licenses of many programs on which the FSF
holds copyright, including GCC, binutils, and the GNU C Library. In
doing so, Cisco has denied its users their right to share and modify
the software.

According to FSF press release:

     We've decided that the best way to resolve this situation is to
file suit. It's not a decision we take lightly. A lawsuit takes
resources that we would rather spend elsewhere. But first and
foremost, our mission is to make sure that computer users everywhere
have the right to share and change the software that they use. Cisco
has been denying its customers the rights guaranteed to them by the
GPL and the LGPL, and we must put an end to that.