jeff on 22 Dec 2008 09:25:59 -0800

Re: [PLUG] regulating network traffic

edmond rodriguez wrote:
> So how?   Qos does not seem to solve this problem since my provider pretty much compiles all the data coming in and I am hardly using the capacity of my router.  I have a 768Kb service.

Not sure I'm understanding this part.
Do you have a router you can access?   Will it sort by port?  I tend to
use certain small ranges so it would be easy to quantify but have never
played with the router's QOS.

If you don't have a router, it can be done via an external one (like a
wireless one with ethernet ports also).

You could probably do it with an onboard firewall too but I've never
used one.

> The bittorrent application has a throttle in it, but it is static, not dynamic.

I was going there but you're correct, it's static.

If there's no other way, perhaps you can find a usable level to throttle
it to.  Or even set it by time.  Utorrent has a time grid that allows
for OFF, ON, and RESTRICTED (you set the restrictions).  It works
flawlessly under linux (except for the Windows-specific functions).

Good luck.