bergman on 22 Dec 2008 09:28:32 -0800

Re: [PLUG] regulating network traffic

In the message dated: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:13:20 PST,
The pithy ruminations from edmond rodriguez on
<[PLUG] regulating network traffic> were:
=> Consider that you are running bittorrent on your machine, either Windows or Linux.
=>
=> The torrent is using all your bandwidth, so when you go on firefox to do something, it runs real
=> ly really slow, as it competes for this bandwidth.  You could turn off the torrent while you are
=>  trying to work on the browser, but this is not practical as that means turning off and on many
=> many times, for example, the time I am spending writing this, my bit torrent could be running fu
=> ll strength.
=>
=> So how?   Qos does not seem to solve this problem since my provider pretty much compiles all the
=>  data coming in and I am hardly using the capacity of my router.  I have a 768Kb service.

Nope, QoS (Quality of Service) does solve the problem, but it depends on how
the QoS is configured and where the traffic shaping is taking place.

Your ISP may apply QoS traffic shaping, giving certain protocols priority or
bandwidth limits, and that may affect bittorrent, but you almost certainly have
no control over that traffic shaping.

However, if you do the QoS on your own machine (either the workstation[s]
running bittorrent, or on a single firewall/gateway machine) then you can
control the priority and bandwidth used by P2P traffic. Under Linux, a common
way to do this is with iptables firewall rules.

I have no idea how you'd do this under Windows natively.

Mark

=>
=> How can one designate some kind of rule that says "bittorrent comes last when ever anything else
=>  is getting done", but otherwise can use all the bandwidth?
=>
=> From what I researched, it seems like the only way to make this happen is to "throttle" the port
=> s that bittorrent is using, or somehow throttle bit torrent itself.
=>
=> The bittorrent application has a throttle in it, but it is static, not dynamic.
=>
=> Any comments?
=>
=> Thanks,