Chuck Peters on 22 Dec 2008 12:44:23 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Reasonably secure email

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:46 AM, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
What's a decent way to get reasonably secure email?

I have been wondering about this issue in part to meet HIPAA [1] requirements.

As it is, one can securely connect to most providers but if it's not
encrypted, it's anyone's to intercept (Gmail included).

From what I read thus far it is possible to send and receive secure SMTP using the fee based version of Google Apps (aka gmail) and the administrator setting a policy so that everything goes through TLS. [2]

If you were going to make this happen for a small group, what would you
use? (existing service or OSS please)

One could set up a particular domain to only allow TLS with most OSS mail servers.  I doubt most users would think it unreasonable if their mail isn't getting through.  But you should be able to setup TLS as the mail server default.

exim4 is what I have been using and some quick googling looks like I could enable TLS with the following pasted from http://www.randomsequence.com/articles/smtp-pop3-email-for-virtual-users-on-debian-sarge/

Enable Exim TLS

Generate a self-signed certificate for Exim using the tool:
/usr/share/doc/exim4-base/examples/exim-gencert

New file: /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/000_localmacros
switch on tls
MAIN_TLS_ENABLE = true
Listen on Standard TLS Port
daemon_smtp_ports = smtp : 587
enable login without TLS / SSL
AUTH_SERVER_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = true

Chuck

1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Insurance_Portability_and_Accountability_Act
2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security
3.SMTP Service Extension for Secure SMTP over Transport Layer Security
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3207