Gordon Dexter on 24 Dec 2008 11:24:30 -0800

Re: [PLUG] https and wireless computing

No, a man-in-the-middle attack is not possible using HTTPS.  The reason
for this is the public key infrastructure.

Basically, there are a number of organizations such as Thawte, Verisign,
CaCert, etc that exist solely to sign the server key.  They only do this
after verifying that they are giving the key to the person who owns the
domain.  Therefore nobody else can have a signed cert with my domain as
the common name.  When your browser visits a site in https it checks to
make sure that it is talking with the right server.  A different server
wouldn't have the right certificate, signed by an CA (certificate
authority) whose public key is in your browser.

If the common name and the domain name don't match, browsers will
generate a scary-looking warning that there might be something nefarious
going on.  In most cases it's a poorly-configured website, or perhaps
one with a CA the browser doesn't recognize.  Either way, it discourages
users from sending their banking data to a website that isnt owned by
the person who owns the bank's domain.

There's a lot more on wikipedia about this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_key_infrastructure

--Gordon