bergman on 24 Dec 2008 11:57:40 -0800

Re: [PLUG] https and wireless computing

In the message dated: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:24:21 EST,
The pithy ruminations from Gordon Dexter on
<Re: [PLUG] https and wireless computing> were:
=> No, a man-in-the-middle attack is not possible using HTTPS.  The reason

It is possible, but there are (as you point out) warnings or other indications
that something is wrong. Unfortunately, most people don't recognize or
understand those indications, or ignore the warning.

    [SNIP!]

=>
=> If the common name and the domain name don't match, browsers will
=> generate a scary-looking warning that there might be something nefarious
=> going on.  In most cases it's a poorly-configured website, or perhaps

Right. The problem is that most people simply accept the warning and proceed.

Another problem [3] is that a MITM machine can present data from or redirect to
a phishing site that is skinned to appear to match the real site, rather than
try ing to intercept the SSL traffic itself.

For example, consider this exchange:

[V] = victim
[E] = evil site
[MiTM] = attacker
[B] = bank

     [V] https://mybank.com --> [MiTM] --> [E] http://my.bank.com
    		 Victim attempts to connect to https://mybank.com
                 MiTM redirects traffic to http://my.bank.com (no SSL cert
		warning)

     [V] <-- [MiTM] <-- [E] http://my.bank.com
    		 Evil sends back phishing site skinned to look like mybank.com

     [V] http://my.bank.com/login --> [MiTM] --> [E]
    		Victim enters login/password information,
		Evil records login info

     [V] <-- [MiTM] <-- [E] http://my.bank.com/retry
		Evil sends back phishing site skinned to look like failed
		login page from mybank.com all links on the page point
		to the real mybank.com page

     [V] https://mybank.com/retry --> [MiTM]
		 Victim clicks on "retry". The MiTM (using techniques
		 from stateful firewalls) notes that the Victim has
		 been sent to Evil already now gets out of the middle
		 (sending a refresh to the Victim and then reconfiguring
		 itself to stop intercepting traffic).

     [V] https://mybank.com/retry <--> [B] https://mybank.com
     		 Normal banking session continues without MiTM

How many people would notice that the first login screen doesn't have an SSL
connection, or that there's an "extra" refresh?

This type of attack becomes much easier if the MiTM is actually the wireless
AP....

Mark