edmond rodriguez on 27 Dec 2008 11:15:12 -0800

Re: [PLUG] SIP SoftPhone Recommendations

How bout google voice and video chat, though I know little about it.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=100173

While on VOIP, I always think of the "speak freely" software that came out some  10-20 years ago.  It ran on Unix and Windows, and had all kinds of features.  You could control the codecs and manually control encryption, all from a gui interface.  Some of the codecs used an incrdible small bandwidth.   A friend and I could talk over a 56 modem, while browsing the internet at the same time!  The slow codecs would make the voice sound a little scary I guess, but the articulation was perfectly clear.     I have yet see a free VOIP that to me was as nice as this product, though the product did not do video, and was also somewhat broken by broadband and NAT routers, as it did not use a relay server of any kind.