Jason Stelzer on 29 Dec 2008 10:16:02 -0800

Re: [PLUG] 8.04 to 8.10 Ubuntu-ings

That's a handy tool at least from the theoretical perspective.

Valgrind is going to have the same problems with sys v shared memory,
shared libs and mapped devices as everything else. A combination of
valgrind and the id's that the exmap kernel module produces might be
nice. Fortunately I've never been a position where I had to break
things down that fine grained. Honestly, I hope I never have to.

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Matthew Rosewarne
<mrosewarne@inoutbox.com> wrote:
> On Monday 29 December 2008, jeff wrote:
>> The initial reason for checking htop was that the Xubuntu system
>> monitors indicated the greater portion of RAM was in use.  I guess they
>> come from the same place....
>
> A more specific tool for measuring actual memory usage is exmap, which uses a
> kernel module to get more detailed information.
>        http://www.berthels.co.uk/exmap/
>
> For anything more informative, you'd probably have to use a profiler such as
> Valgrind.

J.